Student and Young Professionals Event – CILT by
by Giles Fearnley FCILT, Managing Director, First UK Bus
11 October 2011
Giles Fearnley has a strong track record in the bus and rail industries, and is currently Managing Director First UK Bus. In 1991 he led the management buy-out of Blazefield Holdings which operated bus networks principally across Yorkshire and Lancashire. He remained as Chief Executive for two years following the group’s sale to Transdev plc in 2006. As one of the founders of Prism Rail plc, which operated four passenger rail franchises in the UK, he was appointed Chief Executive in 1997 and led the group prior to its sale in 2000. Most recently he was Chairman of Grand Central, the open access rail operator running trains from Sunderland to London and was the first ever Chairman of the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CILT website).
- Transport is recognised as the heart of economy.
- Transport is never out of the headline e.g., highway issues, snow, budget cuts
- Transport is a very big industry, lots of employment in both passenger and freight sides.
- Transport does make different e.g., airport, highway and the economy
- He got involved with the transport as the rep in the council when he was a student.
- 1972 joined the institute
- CILT membership shows not only qualifications, exam but also the real interests in the field.
- For international students, CILT (UK) membership can be transfered to the International one or being in both when they return to their home country.