What is interesting research?
Interesting research is what researchers often expect to see from journal papers or conference presentations. But what is interesting research? Recently I found a paper on this issue by a well-known researchers in SCM/OR/MS, Gérard P. Cachon. His paper entitled “What Is Interesting in Operations Management?” based on his talk in MSOM conference in 2011 saying that interesting in OM is the “Unexpected”. He also presented some examples as followings.
- What Was Thought to Be Complex Is Really Simple
- What Was Thought to Be Simple Is Really Complex
- What Was Expected to Be a Small Effect Is Really a Large Effect
- What Was Thought to Be a Large Effect Is Really a Small Effect
- What Was Thought to Be a Large Effect Is Really Much Larger
- What Was Thought to Be Easy Is Really Hard
- What Was Assumed to Not Be a Problem Is Really a Problem
- What Should Improve Performance Really Harms Performance