BAM2011 Live Blog 01 – Doctoral Symposium Day1
Here is the note of the British Academy of Management a.k.a. BAM 2011, the 6th conference I attend this year, at Aston University, Birmingham. I will attend several workshops and discuss my working paper in a research conversation session in the doctoral symposium as well as present my paper in the main conference at the track of inter-firm relations.
5:11pm Registration at Aston University, Main Building
5:31pm Check-in at Aston Conference (Aston Business School Building)
6:01pm Keynote by Prof.Tim Clark (University of Durham and BAM president) on ‘Prospering in your PhD and Beyond. Here are his suggestions for PhD students especially in Management.
- Don’t scare to contact people (academics) and seek for advise.
- Understand your contribution as early as possible.
- Be confident on your contributions (either in theories or practices)
- Simplify your ideas (in the thesis).
– You should be able to summarise your thesis (research) in two sentences.
– Being a mouse giving birth to an elephant NOT vice versa
- Maintain your focus
– Developing yourself on advanced training internally and externally
- Make your research relevant and interdisciplinary
- Whilst attending a conference,
– Making contributions right away just by asking questions in the conference.
– Meeting as many people as you can. You may find your co-authors in a conference.
7:15pm Symposium Dinner, Lakeside Conference Centre
No comments yet